Urban Meyer returned to his usual Monday morning post following a thrilling win over Penn State to put the primetime win to bed and move forward to an upcoming contest against Indiana.
Meyer, as he always does, opened by naming champions from the prior game. On offense, J.K. Dobbins, Mike Weber, Binjimen Victor, Johnnie Dixon, K.J. Hill, Austin Mack, Isaiah Prince, Demetrius Knox, Michael Jordan and Terry McLaurin was named player of the game. Defensively, Johnathon Cooper, Davon Hamilton, Malik Harrison, Pete Werner, Tuf Borland, Kendall Sheffield, Jeffrey Okudah and Jordan Fuller earned champions honors while and Chase Young won player of the game.
What follows are the main takeaways from Meyer’s Monday presser.
- Thanked the Ohio State fans who traveled to Penn State for their support
- Called Trace McSorley a “war daddy.” Praised his ability to play well in a big game.
- Said Mike Weber is still battling through a foot injury, but is close to being back to 100 percent.
- “I can’t imagine one better,” Meyer said of punter Drue Chrisman and his performance against Penn State.
- Meyer said he hasn’t had a conversation about a let down yet, but will talk about it with the team. Was asked about last season’s let down at Iowa, but didn’t specifically discuss the 55-24 loss.
- “We haven’t played close to our best game,” Meyer said. Referenced big plays allowed on defense and sluggish offensive play in first half against TCU, Penn State.
- Dre’Mont Jones is “very probable,” Damon Arnette is “probable” for the game against Indiana. Said Robert Landers is also recovering, but “wasn’t himself” against Penn State.
- Meyer said Ohio State has discussed putting the QB under center, but wouldn’t commit to adding it to the play book. Added he worries about fumbling under center because it isn’t practiced enough.
- “You hug the linemen,” when you score a touchdown, Meyer said. Added he had the entire team watch the punt team from the Penn State on Saturday.
- Meyer admitted that he is used to having a running QB in his “back pocket,” but it is not there anymore. Added he is comfortable with Dwayne Haskins in the pocket because of how accurate he has been and how fast the ball comes out of his hand.
- Said Chase Young has been dealing with a minor ankle injury, but has been playing well. “He has unlimited potential.”
- Admitted that he is still concerned about the safety position opposite of Jordan Fuller. Said Jahsen Wint, Shaun Wade and Brendon White are in the mix to replace Isaiah Pryor in the first half against Indiana. Pryor was ejected in the second half against Penn State for targeting and is suspended for the first half against the Hoosiers.
- “Their scheme is outstanding and they are very well-coached,” Meyer said of Indiana.