Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer issued a statement Friday at 6:01 p.m. ET on Twitter, publicly apologizing to Courtney Smith. It was also released six minutes later through the university.
After a 14-day investigation into how he handled allegations of former wide receivers coach Zach Smith’s past domestic violence against ex-wife Courtney Smith finished Wednesday at Longaberger Alumni House, a press conference concluded with Meyer receiving a three-game suspension without pay.
During the question-and-answer portion, Meyer did not directly address Courtney Smith when asked about what message he would have for her.
“My words and demeanor on Wednesday did not show how seriously I take relationship violence. I sincerely apologize. I was taught at a very young age that if I ever hit a woman, I would be kicked out of the house and never welcomed back. I have the same rule in my house and in the Football Program at Ohio State. Over the years, we have worked hard to educate and remind our players of the seriousness of relationship violence.
“I understand my lack of action in this situation has raised concerns about this commitment. I once again apologize for this, and I extend my empathy to all women, men and families who are affected by relationship violence. This has been a real learning experience for me. I fully intend to use my voice more effectively to be a part of the solution.
“Let me say here and now what I should have said on Wednesday: I sincerely apologize to Courtney Smith and her children for what they have gone through.”
MORE ON THE STORY
- Gene Smith’s Attorney: ‘2 Great Men Fell On The Sword For A University They Dearly Love’
- Top Takeaways From Ohio State’s Full Report On Urban Meyer, Zach Smith
- WATCH: Meyer, Smith, Drake Discuss OSU Investigation
- Ohio State Releases Summary Of Findings
- Ohio State’s Meyer Suspended For 3 Games
- Board Of Trustees Meeting Continues At Ohio State
- The Latest On Trustees’ Meeting To Discuss Meyer Investigation
- Board Of Trustees Enters Executive Session To Discuss Investigation
- REPORT: OSU Will Publicize Findings Of Investigation
- REPORT: Meyer, AD Smith Met With Investigators Multiple Times
- Ohio State Sets Meeting To Discuss Urban Meyer Situation
- What’s Next For Ohio State After Investigation?
- Investigation To Be Completed Sunday
- Ohio State President Michael Drake Comments On Meyer Investigation
- How Will Investigation End For Head Football Coach Urban Meyer, Ohio State?
- Zach Smith Meets With Ohio State Investigators
- OSU Investigative Team Meets With Courtney Smith
- REPORT: Zach Smith Arrested In 2013 For OVI
- Recent Revelations Won’t Impact Meyer’s Status
- Conflicting Reports From Snook, McMurphy Complicate Latest Smith Findings
- Reviewing The Zach Smith/Urban Meyer Situation
- Breaking Down Potential Resolutions To Meyer Investigation
- Lynn Bruce Says Courtney Smith Vowed To ‘Take Urban Meyer Down’ With Zach Smith
- Tennessee Jeff, Ezekiel Elliott’s Father Headline Urban Meyer Supporters At Ohio State Rally
- Courtney Smith’s Attorney Comments On Investigation, Says Ohio State ‘Never Contacted’ Her Client
- Meyer Investigation To Be Completed Within 14 Days
- Former OSU WR Coach Zach Smith Says AD Gene Smith Knew Of Allegations
- Meyer releases statement, explains actions
- Zach Smith CPO Hearing Postponed To September
- Meyer Placed On Paid Administrative Leave
- REPORT: Meyer’s Wife Knew Of 2015 Allegations Against Smith
- Ohio State Fires Zach Smith