Ohio State quarterbacks coach Corey Dennis spoke to the media Tuesday on a Zoom call to talk about the development of Justin Fields this season, as well as the situation behind Fields with fifth-year senior Gunnar Hoak and true freshmen Jack Miller and C.J. Stroud.
- Dennis said it is “definitely a lot harder” to recruit at quarterback with the dead period because it is important to be able to see recruits throw in person.
- On recruiting: “We’re definitely going to do what’s best for Ohio State and what’s best for the quarterback room.”
- On Miller and Stroud, Dennis said in the past, players would be preparing to be backups, but in these times you have to prepare to be a starter. He also brought up New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton, who tested positive for COVID-19, as an example.
- Dennis said that Fields’ preparation level is “through the roof right now.”
- On Fields: “He truly doesn’t want to leave a stone unturned.”
- Dennis did not say either Miller or Stroud is ahead. “They’re both doing really well. They both have good days and they both have bad days.”
- On who would be the No. 2 quarterback if there was a game tomorrow, Dennis did not give an answer, but he did say that any of Hoak, Miller or Stroud would be “ready to go.”
- Dennis said Fields’ intelligence and how well he is reading the field this year has been very impressive to him. Called it “invaluable” to have a player like that.
- “This year’s been a little but of a challenge for everybody … But our guys handled it well.”
- Dennis said it can be challenging to coach Justin Fields in his first season as Ohio State quarterbacks coach because of Fields’ talent. “You have to prepare like you’re coaching Tom Brady.”
- He said Miller, who has had injury troubles over the past two seasons, hasn’t been behind in his development, and he has continued to improve.
- Dennis echoed Fields in saying that head coach Ryan Day is one of the best quarterbacks coach in college football. Mentioned that Day’s NFL experience is incredibly valuable to have in the room.
Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/