Ohio State head coach Ryan Day spoke to the media via Zoom call Monday to give an update on spring practices. He also spoke on the running back battle, younger players impressing and if there has been any sort of two-deep depth chart established so far.
- According to Day, Ohio State will put the pads on for the first time this spring on Wednesday.
- Day said it’s good to get out and see guys moving around, even though they haven’t seen guys in pads yet. He also said the entire group of early enrollees has made an impression on the staff so far.
- On the freshman class: “So far, so good on the entire group.”
- Day said they will not put their quarterbacks through live reps during spring practices. Said that there is too much risk involved, even though it would be helpful with such minimal in-game reps for the group.
- Day said that “it’s a big spring for Lejond Cavazos and Ryan Watts,” a pair of second-year defensive backs. He also singled out freshman Denzel Burke, saying that he made a big play in the first day of camp.
- Day: “It feels like things are somewhat getting back to normal.” He also said the Buckeyes practiced outside today.
- Day said they haven’t separated the team into 1s and 2s yet as far as the depth chart is concerned. Also said that they are currently just looking to get everyone reps.
- On offensive tackle Thayer Munford: “He’s a mature, young man who understands the value of his education. He’s appreciates the guys that have come before and wants to hold that standard.”
- Day said all of the running backs have had strong offseasons, and they will be chasing incumbent starter Master Teague for reps at the spot.
- Day said Chambers is still playing running back right now despite speculation he may be moving to linebacker.
- Day said center/guard Harry Miller has been non-contact in practice and will likely remain at that status throughout spring practices.
- Day said he has no update on safety Marcus Hooker, who had previously been suspended from the team due to operating a vehicle while intoxicated (OVI).
For four free issues of the print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/