Ohio State head coach Ryan Day met with the media on Thursday afternoon for about 10 minutes, answering a lightning round of questions about his team’s final preparations for Indiana.
Here’s a brief recap of what he had to say:
- Day said the team needs to ramp it up and take things to the next level as conference play begins. “Each week, you’ll find out a little more about your team.”
- Day said he’s been impressed with freshman wide receiver Garrett Wilson preparation, work ethic, attention to detail and emotional maturity.
- Day reflected on his first game at Ohio State, a win at Indiana in the 2017 season opener. “It was the first time Kevin (Wilson) and I worked together in the booth and trying to figure it out, and that’s not easy.”
- Day said he’s been impressed with the offensive line and linebackers so far this season. “Again, we’re only two games in.”
- Ohio State has been preparing for both of Indiana’s quarterbacks, even before report of game-time decision for starter Michael Penix. “You have to be ready and have a plan for both.”
- Day said freshman center Harry Miller is doing well so far. “You don’t notice him in practice, and that’s a tribute to him. It’s very rare to see someone his age work at that level right now.” Compares how Josh Myers took a few years to get comfortable with calls and communication. “He’s off to a great start.”
- Day said running back J.K. Dobbins ran hard against Cincinnati. “He was running hard, with his pads down and physical.” Said he’s one of the best running backs in the country when he’s on like that.
- No word on defensive end Jonathon Cooper’s health. “We’ll put out a status report on Friday morning.” Hope to see how he performs in practice this evening. “Him being out there is a major deal for us.”
- True freshman offensive lineman Dawand Jones was in on defense on a blocked field goal against Cincinnati. Day mentioned his size making a difference, though they’ll see how they use him while keeping his redshirt potential in mind. “He’s a weapon. It makes a difference when he’s out there. If we think it can win us a game, we’ll do it.”