For the first and only time before Ohio State takes on Michigan on Saturday, Urban Meyer met with the media to recap the Buckeyes’ escape against Maryland and preview the 2018 edition of The Game.
What follows are the main takeaways from Meyer’s appearance in front of the media:
- Dre’Mont Jones, Chase Young, Malik Harrison and Tuf Borland were the only champions on defense with Borland being the player of the game.
- Reiterated the defensive performance was “alarming” and “not good.” Added they aren’t pointing fingers, just working to get it fixed.
- Said Dwayne Haskins “really took a step” in his leadership against Maryland. Credited Haskins’ willingness to run the ball as playing a part in that.
- Thayer Munford is “probable” according to Meyer. Munford was rolled up on in the first half against Maryland and did not return. Said Baron Browning and Mike Weber have both been cleared to play against Michigan.
- Said staff discussions with the defense have been “uncomfortable” and “direct.” Added, “our players deserve our best.”
- Said the staff will spend time in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. to get ready for The Game.
- “I don’t think I will,” Meyer said when asked if he will use Ohio State’s underdog status as a motivator against Michigan.
- Praised Ryan Day’s coaching efforts multiple times, unsolicited.
- Reminisced about the time he met Woody Hayes at a golf course shortly before he passed away. Said there is a “zero chance” coaches today could get away with Hayes’ coaching methods in today’s day in age.
- “There is no bigger (game) than this,” Meyer said.
- Said his biggest concern on offense is the conditioning of the offense after playing 105 snaps against Maryland.