Ohio State promoted Corey Dennis to become its new quarterbacks coach on Jan. 10, and he talked to the media for the first time since the promotion on National Signing Day.
Here is what he had to say on the promotion, what he has seen out of his new quarterback room thus far and how he expects to deal with the incoming quarterback battle between Jack Miller and C.J Stroud.
- Dennis said he wasn’t sure if he necessarily knew he was ready for the job, but that he just needed to dive in.
- “I’ve tried to be a sponge” for knowledge, “but you can’t be someone else.”
- Dennis said that C.J. Stroud and Jack Miller are more “competing against themselves” than against each other. “Those guys have been nothing but great.”
- On almost going to Colorado State. “It was a whirlwind for sure.” Said it was a “no-brainer” to stay once Ohio State offered the position.
- Dennis said that having a quarterback room full of players who want to be here, despite the potential of losing the job between Stroud and Miller, is the important thing.
- “Justin (Fields) and I have a great relationship.” He said his goal is to just “enhance” his abilities, not to change anything.
- “I’m not coming in looking to change everything … I’m looking to come in and I’m going to enhance. I’m going to try and see what we’ve done in the past and how can I put my spin on it to make it better.”
- He said there was an influence to being Urban Meyer’s son-in-law. He said he’s always Coach Meyer when talking to him.
- Dennis said despite being Meyer’s son-in-law, he wouldn’t have gotten this position if he had not earned it in the eyes of Ryan Day.
- On Meyer: “He’s had an influence on a lot of young coaches.”
- “I’ve interviewed for this job every day for the last three years.”
- Dennis said “it definitely gave me a little boost of confidence“ that former players like Joe Burrow, Dwayne Haskins and Michael Thomas commended Ohio State’s decision to promote him to quarterbacks coach.
For four free issues of the weekly print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/