Ohio State Puts In Waiver For Transfer Guard Jimmy Sotos To Be Eligible In 2020-21 Season

By October 3, 2020 (10:00 am)Basketball
image_pdfClick for PDFimage_printClick to Print

When speaking to the media over a Zoom call on Friday, Ohio State men’s basketball head coach Chris Holtmann said that the Buckeyes will be attempting to bring in more immediate help than expected for the incoming season.

“We’re thin at the perimeter positions,” Holtmann said. “We have put in a waiver for Jimmy Sotos, but we don’t have a word on that.”

Sotos is one of Ohio State’s new transfers from the offseason, and comes to the Buckeyes from Bucknell after averaging 11.5 points and 3.9 assists per games, both team highs, all while starting in all 34 games for the Bisons.

Along with his offensive output, Sotos also led the team with 1.6 steals per game and was efficient from the field, shooting 37.1 percent from three and 80 percent from the free-throw line.

The transfer has one more year of eligibility, and was initially supposed to sit out this season and play for the Buckeyes in 2021-22, after the team will have lost guards C.J. Walker and Abel Porter, who is coming in as a graduate transfer from Utah State.

If Sotos were eligible to play, he would join those two seniors, along with juniors Duane Washington and Musa Jallow to make an experienced group of guards for the Buckeyes to utilize. Ohio State also adds a freshman guard in Eugene Brown.

“Really lengthy. Can shoot the ball. Athletic,” Walker said of Brown. “Really athletic, smart kid willing to learn, willing to work. Just a really good kid. I’m really excited to have him on my team going into my last year.”

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Ohio State Athletics

For four free issues of the print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/