Ohio State head coach Ryan Day spoke to the media over a Zoom call Tuesday to discuss his return to the team following a self-isolation period due to a positive COVID-19 test, and how the team’s preparing for Saturday’s game against Michigan.
- Day: “Everything we’re hearing is that we’re playing the game.”
- On defensive tackle Haskell Garrett.: “I am really happy he has been able to take a negative and make it a positive.”
- Day said the Big Ten has been talking about the potential of decreasing the 21-day return to play policy following a positive COVID-19 test.
- Day said the communication with Michigan comes from Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith.
- His most recent update about the Ohio State-Michigan game is that “the game is on.”
- Day said he tells recruits when they’re on campus that the No. 1 goal for the team when those recruits are Buckeyes is to beat Michigan.
- On tight end Luke Farrell, Day said he has played very well, specifically with being a tough and unselfish player.
- When asked what the disappointment would be like if Ohio State can’t play Michigan, Day didn’t want to get into it, trying to think positively instead.
- Day said he thinks the Big Ten should take a look at the six-game minimum to make the Big Ten Championship Game if Ohio State can’t play its sixth game this weekend.
- Day said you throw the records out when it is Ohio State-Michigan week, and that the Wolverines may have not played their best football yet because of the strange season.
- Day said “consistency is critical” for offensive tackle Dawand Jones and that the game against Michigan State was a good start for him.
- When asked about the “hang 100” quote, Day did not deny it but said that was in the summer, and the whole focus now is on winning this game Saturday.
- Day said he thinks it’s a “big time disadvantage” that other conferences are allowed to have fans in the stands at games, which has allowed recruits to attend those games on their own.
- He said he “felt a little bit of embarrassment” and that he let people down after he tested positive for COVID-19. Day also said his symptoms were mild.
For four free issues of the print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/