Recruiting Outlook: Five-Star Wide Receiver Emeka Egbuka, Four-Star Cornerback Jaylin Davies Include Ohio State Among Top Schools
Recruiting Outlook is a new weekly series on Buckeye Sports Bulletin designed to be your one-stop shop for all news related to the Ohio State football recruiting trail.
- Ohio State 2021 five-star wide receiver target Emeka Egbuka, who is the No. 1 wideout in the country, included Ohio State in his final four schools, along with Clemson, Oklahoma and Washington.
- Ohio State 2021 four-star running back commit Evan Pryor responded to Egbuka‘s list, recruiting him to be a Buckeye by writing, “Come home bro.”
- Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons 2021 wide receiver Troy Stellato, who had narrowed his recruitment down to Clemson and Ohio State jumped 52 spots in the updated Rivals ranks to bceome the No. 124 overall prospect. He is the No. 101 overall recruit in 247Sports’ rankings, but Clemson is favored to land the Florida receiver.
- Lewisville, Texas, 2022 wide receiver Armani Winfield agreed with defensive end commit Tunmise Adeleye on why Buckeye wideouts are so elite. Adeleye tweeted, “Why are Ohio state receivers so elite… because they have to practice against the #BIA [best secondary in America] every single day,” to which Winfield responded “Mhmmmmm.”
- St. Louis Cardinal Ritter College Prep 2022 wide receiver Luther Burden picked up offers from Baylor and Texas A&M. He is 247Sports’ No. 23 overall recruit and No. 3 wide receiver for 2022.
- Ohio State 2021 five-star running back commit TreVeyon Henderson put some rumors to rest from an OU Insider website that implied he would flip from his commitment. “I’ve been hearing false rumors about this a lot, I try my best not to pay things like this no mind.. I’m a BUCKEYE, plain and simple… #BIA,” Henderson posted.
- Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy 2022 four-star Kaytron Allen received an offer from Wisconsin. Allen retweeted an Ohio State graphic with him in it, which was posted by a fan on May 20.
- Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic 2022 four-star Emeka Megwa picked up an offer from Cincinnati.
- Littleton (Colo.) Valor Christian 2022 four-star running back Gavin Sawchuk received an offer from Alabama.
- Reading (Pa.) Governor Mifflin 2022 four-star Nicholas Singleton received an offer from Louisville and Maryland.
- West Bloomfield, Mich., 2022 four-star running back Dillon Tatum received an offer from Baylor, his 30th.
- Ohio State’s defensive line targets didn’t make much of a change in the new 247Sports Composite Rankings, with Sammamish (Wa.) Eastside Catholic five-star defensive tackle J.T Tuimoloau staying at No. 2, Belleville, Mich. five-star tackle Damon Payne sticking at No. 18 and Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic four-star tackle Tywone Malone moving up one spot to No. 56 in the May 20 update.
- On May 19, Ohio State offered 2022 Arlington (Tx.) Martin four-star defensive end Ernest “R.J.” Cooper, the No. 76 overall prospect and sixth-best weak side defensive end in the class.
- Suwanee (Ga.) North Gwinnett four-star linebacker Barrett Carter committed to Clemson on May 19 over a top 11 that included Ohio State, as well as Alabama, Auburn, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU and Oklahoma. Carter was one of the last linebacker targets for the Buckeyes in the 2021 class.
- Ohio State offered 2022 Salisbury, N.C. four-star linebacker Jalon Walker on May 14. He is currently ranked No. 176 overall and as the 15th-best outside linebacker in the class.
- The top offensive linemen remaining on Ohio State’s board remained mostly in place in the new 247Sports Composite Rankings. IMG Academy offensive tackle J.C. Latham is up to 16th in the Composite, while remaining at No. 3 in the 247Sports in-house rankings, while Kentucky guard Jager Burton is now No. 160 in the Composite and No. 170 in-house, and Michigan guard Rocco Spindler is No. 44 in the Composite and No. 66 in-house.
- Ohio State was included in four-star Michigan offensive tackle Garrett Dellinger’s top four. The Buckeyes made the list alongside LSU, Michigan and Penn State.
- Spindler is expected to announce his final five teams at 5:00 p.m. on May 22. Look for Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State to be included in that list, with LSU and Oklahoma likely vying for that fifth spot.
- 2021 Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro four-star athlete Denzel Burke named Ohio State one of his five finalists along with Colorado, Oregon, USC and Washington on May 13. While some evaluators believe his future is at wide receiver, the Buckeyes view him as a cornerback at the next level.
- Though he’s yet to visit Ohio State, 2021 Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei four-star cornerback Jaylin Davies listed the Buckeyes in his final four on May 16 next to Arizona State, Oregon and USC. He’s expected to take an official visit in the fall.
- 2021 Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne five-star cornerback Tony Grimes will reveal his final three schools on May 31. Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas A&M and Virginia Tech are among the programs vying for those final spots ahead of his planned Dec. 1 decision.
For four free issues of the now-monthly print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, sign up at the link below. No credit card required: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/