Urban Meyer Recaps Minnesota, Previews Primetime Matchup Against Purdue
Urban Meyer addressed the media Monday following Ohio State’s 30-14 win over Minnesota and named champions, players of the week for their performance against the Golden Gophers.
Champions from Ohio State vs. Minnesota:
– Offense: Haskins, McLaurin, Campbell, Farrell, Pridgeon, Jordan and Hill (player of the game).
– Defense: Jones, Werner, Sheffield, Okudah and Fuller (player of the game).
– Special teams: Haubeil (player of the game).
— Garrett Stepien (@GarrettStepien) October 15, 2018
He also said that Ohio State kicker Sean Nuernberger strained his groin or quad in warmups prior to kick against Minnesota, which led to Blake Haubeil getting the nod at kicker. He also said Thayer Munford is “probable” to play against Purdue, but is sore as of Monday morning.
- Said Dwayne Haskins is handling Ohio State’s RPO offense well. Added there are times where he makes the wrong read, but makes the correct read more often.
- Said he “hopes” Nick Bosa will return this season. Added he is set to be re-evaluated this week.
- Pleased with the performance Justin Hilliard, who stepped in for an injured Malik Harrison on Saturday against Minnesota.
- After studying the tape, Meyer said he has noticed teams are still trying to limit Ohio State’s rushing attempts, despite Dwayne Haskins’ success through the air.
- Said Ohio State’s place-kicking job is “open,” after Haubeil’s performance against Minnesota. Added he isn’t sure if Sean Nuernberger will be healthy enough to play against Purdue.
- “At times, it didn’t look great,” Meyer said of the safety position opposite of Jordan Fuller. Added he does see progress and that Shaun Wade could see more time there moving forward. Said the coaches are having that conversation today.
- Described Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm as “very aggressive.”
- Said Michael Jordan has done a good job at center, despite overall run game struggles.
- Described Rondale Moore as an “explosive player.” Moore is the second-leading receiver in the Big Ten.
- “I do feel like we are getting better,” Meyer said. Praised freshmen Chris Olave, Josh Proctor and Marcus Hooker for cracking the lineup on special teams.
- Expects Malik Harrison, Johnathon Cooper back. Robert Landers is probable, Damon Arnette is questionable for Purdue.
[divider line_type=”Full Width Line” line_thickness=”2″ divider_color=”default”][nectar_btn size=”jumbo” button_style=”regular” button_color_2=”Accent-Color” icon_family=”none” url=”http://www.buckeyesports.com/boards/” text=”Join The Conversation”]