Ohio State Head Coach Ryan Day Talks Opening Of Fall Camp In Thursday Video Conference
In a Zoom video call with the media Thursday, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day talked about the start of fall training camp for the football team, as well as the precautions his team has taken because of COVID-19 and how he is feeling about playing games within the next month.
- Day on how the team looked on the first day of fall camp: “It was great to see our guys with so much energy … Forgetting about everything else for an hour and a half was great. But we certainly have a long road ahead of us.”
- On players opting out this season due to concerns about COVID-19: “If someone does have concerns and opts out … we’re going to have conversations, and if at the end of the day, they don’t feel comfortable, that doesn’t mean they’re not part of the program.”
- Day said Justin Fields’ ability to operate the team at quarterback, as well as his display of both mental and physical toughness last season helped him become a captain in his second year with the program.
- Limiting the amount of contact that players can have, lots of disinfecting on pads and gloves have been some of the things being done at practices. “At the end of the day, there is going to be blocking and there is going to be tackling.”
- On the right tackle battle between Paris Johnson and Nicholas Petit-Frere, said that Petit-Frere “really looks like a different person” after an impressive offseason, and that the team will have a better idea of how that position will look once the pads get on.
- Day on having four freshman wide receivers, he said a rotation at the position is something Ohio State likes to do anyway, but that losing the spring hurt because it cost the freshmen experience.
- “We feel great about training camp … that part of it, we feel great about.” Day also said there’s a lot to still figure out about playing games.
- Day said that once Ohio State players put helmets on, they will not be required to wear masks. Said that players had said it was difficult to breathe with masks on.
- On the No. 2 ranking in the Amway Coaches Poll: “It’s an honor to be recognized by your peers, to have a great team, but at the end of the day, that doesn’t really mean much.”
- Day on running back Master Teague: “Master has done an unbelievable job at rehabbing. It amazes me every day with what he’s done.”
- Day said, along with Shaun Wade, Sevyn Banks and Marcus Williamson have stepped up as leaders this offseason in the secondary. Also said that defensive coordinator Kerry Coombs’ previous experience recruiting a lot of those players has been a huge help with building trust in the group.
- Ryan Day on the rumors about some words he had about Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh following a Big Ten coaches call: “I appreciate the question, but I’d rather not answer that right now.”
- Day on Wade’s leadership: “When Shaun talks, people listen.”
- Day said that the offensive line, as well as the tight end unit, has the ability to be the best he has seen in his time at Ohio State.
For four free issues of the print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/