Ohio State Head Coach Ryan Day Discusses Sugar Bowl Matchup With Clemson
After learning his team will face Clemson in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day met remotely with the media on Sunday afternoon to discuss the matchup.
Here’s a brief recap of what Day had to say:
- Day said they are very excited about the opportunity to play Clemson once again. “It’s been a unique season in so many ways.”
- Day said he has “an unbelievable amount of respect” for Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney and his program.
- Day said believes it would be ideal for conference champions to make the playoff, but said it’s unrealistic in a four-team system.
- Day said Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence is “very, very athletic.” Added it surprised them how well he ran the ball in the Fiesta Bowl against the Buckeyes last season.
- Day said most of Ohio State’s issues have been related to coronavirus and not injuries. Noted playing only six games helped with that.
- Asked about quarterback Justin Fields’ thumb injury, Day said, “Justin will be fine.”
- Day on losing to Clemson last year: “We just didn’t get over it in one day. That took time.” Added the goal of the season was to get back to this point. “It’s just amazing.” Noted that even the best story-tellers couldn’t have come up with such a scenario.
- Day said they’re going to need to play their best game to beat Clemson.
- Day on how playing just six games might impact their performance:
- “I don’t know because it’s never really been done before.” Added it’ll come down to execution and toughness. “Both teams are going to play hard. I mean, everything’s on the line. It’s who executes better.”
- Day said some of the players who missed the win over Northwestern with coronavirus-related issues might be back for the Sugar Bowl.
- Day on making the playoff: “I think we have an opportunity to write one of the greatest stories in the history of college football.”
For four free issues of the now-weekly print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, sign up at the link below. No credit card required: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/