Ohio State Defensive Coordinator Kerry Coombs Talks Preparation For Clemson In Tuesday Zoom Call
Ohio State defensive coordinator Kerry Coombs spoke to the media Tuesday over a Zoom call in preparation of Friday’s College Football Playoff semifinal matchup against Clemson in the Sugar Bowl.
- Coombs said it was a “big scramble” at the safety position ahead of the Big Ten Championship against Northwestern. Also said he was impressed with the three healthy safeties he had in that game.
- Said that going against Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson, or “good on good,” in practice is incredibly helpful when going against a talented receiving corps like Clemson has.
- Coombs said Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence “deceptively fast” and that he is probably one of the best college football quarterbacks of all-time.
- Coombs complimented the consistent hustle of junior defensive tackle Tommy Togiai. “He’s relentless … he’s just a relentless force.”
- On senior defensive tackle Haskell Garrett, Coombs said that he has never experienced something like what he has went through. “And I’m glad, I hope I never see that again.”
- On Clemson: “I don’t think anybody stops them … their explosive tape is the longest you’ve ever seen.” Coombs said that Ohio State will have to contain them, and had high praise for running back Travis Etienne specifically.
- Coombs said he loves what fifth-year senior defensive end Jonathon Cooper has brought in preparation of this game. “Coop is a flat out leader.”
- More on Cooper: “He’s all-in, pushed his chips into the middle of the table and I think we’ll see Coop’s best effort in this game.”
- Coombs said that junior cornerback Shaun Wade has been motivated all year, but that there was no question “coming off the field before halftime last year” against the Tigers due to the targeting call “was very, very hard for him.
- “When you play teams like this, you have to have speed on the field.”
For four free issues of the print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/