Hear From Wisconsin Head Coach Paul Chryst
Thirty hours away from Ohio State’s matchup with Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game, Badgers head coach Paul Chryst spoke to members of the media.
Below is a bullet-point recap of what Chryst said:
- We’ve earned the right to play in this game against a really good Ohio State team.
- Having played Ohio State already helps the players see the things that you can’t see on film.
- Our fans means everything to us. You appreciate the support. The fans are a great part of our university and a great part of what makes college football great.
- Before the season, beating Minnesota and winning the Big Ten Championship Game are motivations. Playing Minnesota is always a big game. You don’t worry about where you’re going to end up, you worry about playing the games.
- I’m looking forward to having our players get the opportunity to play in the championship game to put it out there and play as a team.
- It’s impressive what OSU has done. You better put all the focus on your team and improving instead of focusing on how good they are. The focus has to be the best we can be.
- I like the fact that our team has had great leadership not just from our seniors. This team has taken on their personality. They truly love playing the game and truly love playing with each other. Their energy and spirit is consistent and infectious.
- The development pat of every program is one of the fun parts of the job. I’ve been impressed by backup freshman quarterback Graham Mertz. When he did play, we felt confident. One of the things that I love about him is there will never be a day where he’s not trying to get better. I’ve liked what he’s done learning as a backup.
- Greg Mattison is a guy that I’ve been fortunate to know; my whole family knows him. I have the utmost respect for him as a coach and more importantly as a person. He’s truly a great coach, and I don’t say this about a lot of people. He loves the game, loves coaching and cares about the game.
- A.J. Taylor is out. How important has he been?
- Wide receiver A.J. Taylor has meant so much to this program. Unbelievable worker who cares about the team. We’ve been spoiled because A.J. hasn’t missed games. He’s been a really important part of this team.
- It’s important. For us to be the best offense we can be, we need everyone. Jonathan Taylor has carried the load, but we need everybody.
- Danny Davis? – Danny’s had a big impact on our team since he’s been at Wisconsin. He’s a guy I enjoy being around. Joe Rudolph recruits Ohio and does a great job. Many of those guys have had a big impact on our program.
- It means a ton to me to be here representing Wisconsin. I’ve always felt really fortunate to be coaching. There is a whole other layer since I went there and was a part of the team and my dad went there. It’s the people that make a place. It adds to the depth and meaning of it.
- Chase Young is a great player. It comes down to playing against a really talented, well-coached team. We’ve got to come ready to play.
- Their defense has really talented players, obviously, but they’re playing well together. They know exactly what they’re doing. They do enough things that they cause you problems. If you put too much energy into one person, they have others that will beat you.
- How hard is it to win the Big Ten Championship Game three years in a row? – I think it’s really hard to do it once. To repeat on that I think it’s really hard.
- Justin Fields has done a good job of taking care of the ball. How does make OSU tough to beat? – I think that’s what makes them good, really good. They play the game the right way.
- I know from where I sit I’m awfully impressed with what Ohio State’s team is doing led by Ryan Day, whether it was his first year or his 20th year. The job that they all are doing is impressive, and it’s not easy to do.
For four free issues of the weekly print edition of Buckeye Sports Bulletin, no card required, sign up at the link here: http://www.buckeyesports.com/subscribe-4issue-trial/
[divider line_type=”Full Width Line” line_thickness=”2″ divider_color=”default”][nectar_btn size=”jumbo” button_style=”regular” button_color_2=”Accent-Color” icon_family=”none” url=”http://www.buckeyesports.com/boards/” text=”Join The Conversation”]