Brian Hartline Radio Updates: ‘Blessed To Have Such A Great Group’ Of Receivers
Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer provided various updates on his weekly radio show on 97.1 The Fan on Thursday, marking his last scheduled media appearance before the Buckeyes travel to West Lafayette, Ind., to face Purdue at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. After Meyer’s appearance on the show ended, interim wide receivers coach Brian Hartline took over for the final few minutes.
What follows is a breakdown of the key points from Hartline’s appearance on the radio:
- Hartline noted that he feels blessed to have “such a great group of young men” in the receivers room.
- He said the communication between the receivers and quarterback Dwayne Haskins has been excellent. Noted that relationship has been crucial in Haskins’ development. Wouldn’t have that with a younger receiving corps. He stressed that the communication is stellar both on and off the field.
- Hartline agreed that he has an unselfish group of wide receivers. He said he wants players to be frustrated when they don’t get the ball, but “what you can’t do is let it affect the team, let it affect the receivers as a whole.”
- “You have to be somewhat selfish to be successful, that’s just how it works,” Hartline said.
- He noted that he’s seen Johnnie Dixon grab Terry McLaurin to put him in for a play because he already had a touchdown, so he wanted McLaurin to get one too.
- Hartline said he thinks the veterans are having a big impact on the younger receivers. He said he’s really focusing on the expectations in run blocking, route running and the other little things being passed down.
- Hartline on the progress junior WR Binjimen Victor has made this year: “I like it a lot. I think he’s doing a really good job.”
- “If you can’t block, you can’t play at Ohio State. That’s just how receivers are coached here,” Hartline said.
[divider line_type=”Full Width Line” line_thickness=”2″ divider_color=”default”][nectar_btn size=”jumbo” button_style=”regular” button_color_2=”Accent-Color” icon_family=”none” url=”http://www.buckeyesports.com/boards/” text=”Join The Conversation”]